|Working Location:||Moorestown, NJ|
DescriptionTitle: Headend Wiring Technician
Summary: This employee will be responsible primarily for the installation and maintenance of lab cabling and wiring. He or she will also be required to rack and provision headend equipment and servers including physical installation, wire various types of network connections, and connect the equipment to power. He or she will create and maintain detailed wiring diagrams and rack elevations of lab systems. The employee will be required to work with vendors to ensure the proper configuration of headend systems and devices. He or she will be required to build RF distribution systems and IP communication networks. Each equipment environment consists of different specifications, necessitating the ability to adapt to changing requirements and new technology.
- Installation and maintenance of headend wiring systems and components. These components range widely in size and scope.
- Install connectors on custom coax (RG59, RG6, mini coax and twisted pair cables
- Dress all cables according to lab standards
- Install lab equipment according to rack elevations
- Identify equipment SFP and GBIC needs according to designs
- Use RF, IP, and optical test equipment to ensure proper signal quality
- Create and maintain library of lab wiring diagrams and rack elevations, typically using MS Visio
- Produce wiring diagrams as needed for test reports
- Diagnose signal problems
- Documentation of network supplied video sources and other network traffic
- Identifying test and measurement gaps and knowledge of the tools needed to fill them
- Document lab environment and processes
- General lab maintenance
- Organizing lab shipments and inventories
- Tracking of assets and equipment inventories
- Create as-built designs of existing headend related equipment.
- Revise and update current headend designs based on input from various internal Comcast engineering staff on future RF, Optic, VOD, HSD, CDV and other future services requirements.
- Provide a Bill of Material for headend equipment required to meet future requirements.
- Research and specify headend equipment for cable, fiber and telephony systems.
- Provide reports on a weekly basis of all headend design activity.
- Coordinate activities between departments to ensure continuous business operation.
- Strong proficiency with MS Visio and other computer design software
- Ability to design detailed, complex diagrams and write documents using document authoring software
- Ability to read wiring diagrams of varying complexity
- Experience making and dressing coax and Ethernet cables in lab or production environment
- Familiarity with Label Wiring Standards including ANSI/TIA/EIA 606, BS EN ISO 60950,
FAA AC 43, 13A, and other codes and standards is preferred
- Working knowledge of Linux, Unix, and Windows XP Operating Systems
- Experience working in cable TV or similar communications industry environment
- Cable TV headend skills including RF distribution and signal measurement
- Strong knowledge of IP networks is a plus
- Proficiency with defect tracking software such as Jira, Bugzilla, Test Director, Adminitrack, HP Quality Center
- Familiarity with development environments, build systems and configuration management tools
- Ability to troubleshoot an issue, identify the root cause and determine ownership of problems. Ability to validate issues written by others.
- Ability to engage with vendors to resolve equipment issues and identify future needs
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks for efficient work output
- Ability to participate in defining overall approach and structure of lab designs
- Ability to clearly and concisely describe problems in both written and oral forms and communicate both orally and in writing in a clear, professional and pleasant manner.
- Must be willing to accept additional assignments and take the lead and assist other team members as necessary.
- Ability to work autonomously without close supervision or assistance
- Self-motivated with desire for continuous learning
- Ability to present and digest concepts quickly and multitask
- Adapt to changing priorities
- Travel between labs is required. Labs are currently located in PA, CO, and NJ. The employee would be based in Downingtown, PA where 90% of employee’s work will take place.
- 3+ years of applicable job related experience in the cable or satellite industry
- Experience in cable TV or similar communications industry
- 3+ years in the design of RF, optic and network headend systems utilizing Visio and/or AutoCAD design software. Major emphasis on Visio software